July 12, 2008

Panera

The past couple of weeks we haven't been able to get the internet up at our house. I've felt pretty disconnected from the world. I've really come to appreciate the easy access I've had the past year. It's one of those things where once you lose something you realize how "important" it is to you. (Yes I know I'm talking about the internet.)

But anyway, I'm very thankful for my laptop! I visited Panera quite a few times in these past weeks to get things done online and stay up with everything. These trips have become adventures really. You never know who will be at Panera, who you'll talk to, what will be going on around you, the people you'll get to watch. I don't mean this in some sort of creepy way, but it's kind of neat. One time I came here (this is where I'm at now) and this woman was sharing her poetry with friends to get their feedback. She was awesome! It kind of scared me when the group went from hushed discussion to her confidently reading her poetry, almost as if she was one stage. I kind of felt like I was interrupting, but I realized I didn't really exist to them anyway. lol (That's an okay thing) People are pretty helpful when it comes to showing you where plugs are and helping you with other small matters. During the week in the afternoon Panera's walls are lined with people at their own personal tables, on their own personal computers, their own little personal space. It's kind of soothing being part of the group benefitting from a free wi-fi connection. It's a nice atmosphere. I've also overheard a couple of strangers, at the table next to m, meet and talk about their lives, their work out routines, being old...and the books they've written!??!?! I've seen people meet over wedding photos, family gatherings, etc, etc. I can't help but wonder who these people are, if they'll be famous or have been well-known. What these families are all about, where they've been, who they are....

What am I doing at home online learning about what's going on outside, when I could just go see for myself?

No comments: