February 18, 2008

being young

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to the preaching and to teaching. Do not neglect your gift, which was given to you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.
Be diligent in these matters, give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. 1 Timothy 4:12-16

Flee the evil desires of your youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2 Timothy 2:22


There's so much to say. What a call to those who are young! What an opportunity! We are not called to just learn, or listen, or watch, or just grow up as the world spins, or wait to explore, lead and be....but we are called right NOW, when we are young, to be examples! Us! Of all people! People see us, they look to us, younger and older. Some say we are the future of the church. Yes, this is true, but we are the church! I am part of the church! The body of Christ! Even though I don't have as much experience as the Sunday School teacher, or the pastor, or the old guy that serves communion, or the organist. I am part of the body and God has called me, he has called you, to be an example of His love, His mercy, His grace.

How can I be an exampe in my speech? How can the words I say hinder or help those around me? My image? How can I worship Christ by the words I say?
How can I be an example in life? In how I live? In the decisions I make? In my attitude?
How can I be an example in love? In how I treat others? Am I being real? authentic? What is my purpose? How can I spread Christ's love?
How can I be an example in faith? Am I really in this relationship? Do I trust God, or myself? Do I say one thing and act another? How am I living my life? God's way?
How can I be an example in purity? Are my motivations pure? Is my life pure? Am I lukewarm? cold? hot? Does my life reflect righteousness? Are my thoughts noble, admirable, lovely?

God call us, even now, to immerse ourselves in teaching, preaching, scripture, prayer. Do not neglect your gifts! What am I called to? How can I serve God with these passions? What desires has he laid on my heart? God will bless us! He calls us to do away with the "evil desires of our youth," and pursue good things-righteousness, faith, love, and peace. We are not alone. God is soo good! God never fails! You are called!

Personally, this verse has really helped me. It's soo strange growing up and always being too young. And now as I finally am getting to the stange of being....well, not too young. It's a scary and daunting and overwhelming thing. I can't possible be old enough to be 18! I'm not old enough to be on my own. I'm not old enough to take college classes, to be a local ministerial candidate. But they tell me I'm old enough. God reminded me of these verses, challenged me really. Even if I feel young...He has called me. Here and now. Not later, not next week, not in a couple of years, not after college.....now! I am His! What can I do to worship him? To minister to my friends? children? families? the church?

Do not neglect your gifts!
Be diligent!
Give yourself wholly!
Immerse!
Devote!
Persevere!

2 comments:

WICK said...

i woke up this morning...with a wife, a house, and 2 kids, a degree, and a full time job.

whoa. how old am I?

Bethany said...

Wow! Your older than me....and still young! lol