February 23, 2008

fantastic, majestic, brilliant, wonderful, the epitome of...

So recently I've read the book Farenheit 451 and right now in English class we're reading the book 1984. Now, if you've never read these books, they're classics. Both are very thought provoking. Farenheit 451 is a story about a man of the future, a firefighter who instead of fighting fires rather is in charge of burning books. Books are evil, silly, everything in them is nonsense, so there is no point of having them. In 1984, (which I'm only a little less than half-way through) the world is controlled by Big Brother. Basically the government controls everything, EVERYTHING! Even ones thoughts....if any action you take shows even an inkling that you are thinking for yourself, you "vanish," you are erased from society. History is changed. All there is is anger. Anger unifies. Any other emotion is too powerful, to passionate. Even language is narrowed down to smal words, creativity is no longer necessary, even tolerated.

These books make me both grateful and afraid. After reading Farenheit 451 I want to read everything I get my hands on. I want to become more knowledgable, fill my brain. I've heard that there is so much space in ones brain that they will never use. 1984 makes me want to learn to words, expand my vocabulary. The books makes me want to stop saying "like" with every sentence. I want to have deep conversations and be challenged. I want to be asked hard questions that I don't know the answer to. I want feel. I want to be real. I want to write. I want to experience things I've never experienced before. I want to find brilliance in the day to day. I want to create. I want to do things people wouldn't expect me to do. I want to think outside box.

1 comment:

WICK said...

Orwell is better...Bradbury is thin.

Remember though - Ignorance is Strength. hehe...whoa...actually, look out your window....are people following Oceania gub-ment?