March 2, 2008

Armor of God

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggles is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against authorities, against the powers of the dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in changes. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.
Ephesians 6:10-20

Notes
Nothing to cover our backs-we are to face our adversaries, we are to “stand”
Not just about how I can protect myself, it is about being “in Christ.”
“You have to go through Jesus to get to me!”
Not about mounting a massive attack –Stand!-Pray!

Defensive
always on/essentials
Belt of Truth – our first piece of armor, covers very vulnerable area. (Covers vital organs for digestion and reproduction) We must understand and see truth first and foremost. We must stand for truth without compromise. Jesus is truth.
Breastplate of Righteousness – Walking and living according to Jesus, everyday. We must choose to put that on. (Covers vital organs - heart and lungs) What are you taking in? What are you “exhaling” out? The heart, set of person’s will…attitude/character/integrity of righteousness?
Feet fitted with…Peace – “Shoes enable a soldier to walk over all sorts of terrain and to make long marches.” We have security, love. Face the devil with calm assurance, no fear. Jesus has already defeated the devil. Part of peace is preparation to face death/persecution/trials. (Phil 4:6)
Armed/”take up”-great urgency
Shield of Faith – our most powerful weapon, responding in faith. Creating a wall of defense when banding together.
Helmet of Salvation – Jesus is my Savior. Protects mind/brain/head- real spiritual battlefield. You cannot save yourself.

Offensive
Sword of the Spirit – The word of God is our only offensive and defensive weapon. A tool. Respond with scripture. Strength (James 4:8) and the devil must flee (James 4:7).


Lord, by faith here’s what I’m doing right now to prepare myself for the coming days. I’m putting on the belt of truth. I ask You to make it very clear to me wheat I am to accept in my life and what I am to reject. Help me to see clearly the motives of others as they deal with me and converse with me. Let me walk in Your truth, making decisions and choices according to Your plans and purposes for my life.
I am putting on the breastplate of righteousness. Guard my emotions today. Protect my heart. Help me to take into my life only the things that are pure, and nothing that is poison or polluting. Help me to live in integrity and to have a reputation based upon doing, saying, believing, thinking, and feeling the right things. Help me to live in right relationship with You every moment of this coming day.
I am putting on my spiritual boots. Help me to stand and walk in Your peace and to move forward in ways that bring Your peace and love to others. Help me to have the full confidence and assurance that come from knowing that I am filled with the peace that only You can give to those who are Your children. Help me to be a peacemaker. Show me where to walk and how to walk as You would walk.
I am picking up the shield of faith. Help me to trust You to be my Victor in every area of life today. Help me to trust You to defend me, provide for me, and keep me in safety every hour of this day.
I am putting on my helmet of salvation. Guard my mind today. Bring to my remembrance all that You have done for me as my Savior. Let me live in the hope and confidence that You are saving me-rescuing me and delivering me-from evil.
I am picking up my sword of the Spirit, the Word of God. Bring to my remembrance today the verses of the Bible that I have read and memorized, and help me to apply them to the situations and circumstances I will face. Let me use Your Word to bring Your light into the darkness of this world and to defeat the devil when he comes to tempt me.
Father, I want to b fully clothed with identity of Jesus Christ today. I am in Christ. He is in me. Help me to fully realize and accept that He is my Truth, my Righteousness, my Peace, my Savior, the source of my faith, and the ever-present Lord of my life.
I want to bring glory to Your name today. I ask all of this in the name of Jesus. Amen.
(Stanley, Charles F., When the Enemy Strikes, p170-171)

No comments: